Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A note to Jim Thumpston's daughter

This weekend, as we do every year, we will sing "Eternal Father" in remembrance of shipmates who passed away during the year since the last reunion.

One of those we honor this year will be Jim Thumpston--"Thumper"--who trained hundreds of MUs to take leadership posts in the Navy Music Program.

I was pleased, then, to hear today from Jim's daughter, Laura Ann Thumpston, who lives in the Tidewater area. Addressing us all, she wrote of her father's enjoyment of reunions of the Navy Musicians Association, adding,"Thanks for being his friend for all the years," along with her hopes that she might stop by the reunion this week.

I have replied:

Subject: Re: Thumpston
Sent By: frankmullen
On: June 24, 2009 11:32 AM
To: Laura Ann Thumpston
Copy to: Navy Lyres

Laura Ann,

Thank you for writing. I was hoping you knew about the reunion, but, of course, left my email addresses at home and realized I couldn't contact you.

Although the reunion is just getting started--old men have been lined up at the hotel registration desk all morning long--your dad's name comes up a lot. Some of us are hearing the news for the first time.

I hope you will be able to stop by the reunion sometime. Would you mind if I mention our email correspondence on the Navy Lyres website? NMA members who can't attend this year still follow the reports on the web, and I think many would like to know that you're thinking of us, just as we're thinking of Jim.

Frank

No comments: