Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Reunion tempo.

Wednesday morning, Reunion Day 1

Soon, the party begins, but I'm glad I got here early.

An NMA reunion begins on a Wednesday morning at andante and accelerates to moderato by day's end. With each passing day, the tempo picks up as more members arrive. By Friday night's concert, latecomers have arrived with new stories, and the tempo has moved up to vivace. 

There's so much to do, so many friends to talk to, newcomers to meet, music to play. Sometimes a reunion ends and I feel I haven't had a complete conversation all week.

So I enjoyed the last two slow, pre-reunion days. I had plenty of time to spend with Ken Davenport. My old assistant leader from Newport came to his first reunion last year, and we hardly had time to say "hi." But now, we've caught up on things.

Similarly, I spent an hour yesterday with Ray Ascione, my boss during a tour on staff at SOM. If I hadn't been here before the reunion hurly-burly kicks in, I would have missed this opportunity.

This is not to say I don't like the nutso speed of our reunions. I love it. But it's nice to have a chance to warm up your horn before the tempo kicks off.

It's not too late for you to join us. The hotel still has some rooms saved for us. You don't have to be here while things are still moderato; you can show up for the Saturday prestissimo.

I now have time for a cup of coffee before heading down below; it's about to get wild around here. 


It is perfectly acceptable to begin shooting the 
breeze before the reunion officially begins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where’s the hotel? Terry and I might get a room Friday night

Frank Mullen III said...

Reunion at Holiday Inn Norfolk-Virginia Beach. Info at www.navymusicians.org