Thursday, June 18, 2020

NMA Reunion in Review: 2017

I learned much about leadership
from MUCM Jim Thumpston.
The 2017 NMA reunion brought us home again to Virginia Beach.

Ray Ascione assisted Wilbur Smith in conducting the NMA Concert Band. He did so well that many of us thought, "Gee, if Wilbur ever retires as conductor, Ray would be a great choice to succeed him."

(In fact, Ray has since taken over as conductor of the concert band. Were it not for the pandemic, he'd be at the NMA podium today, whipping us into shape for Friday's concert. Well, not really whipping. Those of us who played under Ray's baton at the Naval Academy or School of Music know he leads not by terror, but by inspiration.)

You'll notice a photo of Jim Thumpston I stumbled across at the reunion. It reminded me that if I hadn't waited so long to come to an NMA reunion, I could have met up with "Thumper," my old teacher,  shipmate and mentor.

To enjoy day-by-day NavyLyres coverage of the 2017 reunion chronologically:

  • click here, then 
  • scroll down and read posts from bottom to top.

No comments: