Saturday, June 18, 2022

NMA 2022 Reunion Wrapup

It has happened before. Things move so fast at an NMA reunion that I can't keep up with it all. And, suddenly, it comes to an end. Tonight will be our banquet and dance, and tomorrow morning we'll say goodbye. Over the next week, I'll have time to post much more about this reunion. So, now, with what little liberty time I have, I'll report this:

Nat "King" Cole sang a song about this reunion: "Unforgettable." It wasn't the biggest reunion we've ever had, nor the loudest. 

It was a week of challenges and solutions. Because of ongoing covid concerns, attendance was down. But we made it work. Trumpeter Don Keller picked up an f horn to fill out the horn section. Another trumpeter, Don Junker, volunteered his skills on the bass fiddle to fill in the bottom. Wherever you looked, MUs were pitching in to make the gig work. 

They succeeded. Last night's concert band performance--in my not-so-humble opinion--equaled the success and artistry of any NMA performance in memory. Ray Ascione, our new conductor, put the band to work, and the work paid off.

The Big Band worked hard, too. I'm looking forward to the dance tonight, in particular, to see the trombone section at work. We didn't have an excess of bone players, so they've all done a lot of playing. Bless their evil little hearts, I'm not cracking the usual trombone jokes this year.

Again, I'll soon have more to say about this reunion. Meanwhile, I offer thanks to all whose time, energies, and talents mad the 2022 reunion Unforgettable.

No comments: