NOV74-FEB75: Boot Camp, Great Lakes Naval Training Center.
FEB75-JUN75: School of Music, Basic Course.
- Named "Student of the Month" despite documented record of instrumental practice averaging 30 seconds per week.
JUN75-MAY77: Navy Band San Francisco.
Special mention by Commanding Officer, Naval Support Activity SanFran, after surprise inspection of enlisted barracks:
- "Seaman Mullen's room is the filthiest space I have seen in 27 years in the Navy."
MAY77-JUN78: Navy Band Newport.
- As keyboard player for rock band Long Island Sound: break up fights.
- As staff arranger: come to work on paydays.
JUL78-DEC78: School of Music, Intermediate Course.
- Reamed out by MUCM Jim Thumpston less frequently than other classmates.
JAN79-JAN82: School of Music, piano instructor.
- Dirty Tricks Petty Officer: directed midnight raid on Army barracks that resulted in 300 soldiers waking up on the morning of the annual Army/Navy game with high hopes and no toilet paper.
- Change-for-a-dollar Petty Officer of the Command: maintained adequate stock of coins so officers could purchase peanut butter cups from vending machines.
- Petty Officer in Charge of Shaking Commanding Officer's Hand With Joy Buzzer While Receiving "Staff Member of the Year" award: self-explanatory.
JAN82-JUN85: Navy Band Newport.
- Developed miniature golf course in band office area. Operated tournaments culminating in sudden-death playoffs on the 18th hole, a par-4, teeing off from passageway outside gear locker, followed by blind dog-leg through MUCM Davenport's office, a risky rebound off the the wall into bandmaster's office and delicate chip-shot into the styrofoam coffee cup under Mr. Chesson's desk.
JUL85-JAN86: School of Music, Advanced Course.
- Inability to control baton in subdivided 6/8 pattern due to weakness caused by loss of blood after being repeatedly stabbed in back by conducting instructor.
FEB86-AUG87: 7TH Fleet Band, Yokosuka, Japan.
- Conduct band at concerts and ceremonies before high-ranking dignitaries.