Friday, January 25, 2008

The Skating Rink is Closed

As I flipped through the NMA Leger Lines and read Treasurer Cecil Strange's plea for members get up off their wallets and pay their 2008 dues, I thought about the skaters.

The skaters were the guys who got away with doing the least, who made life hard for everyone. While we were in training, the skaters conserved their spit and hoarded their polish, and the whole squad flunked inspection. We found skaters in our bands, too; they were the guys who didn't woodshed their parts, causing long, grueling rehearsals for everyone.

Yup, I told myself, it's a helluva shame we still have to put up with---

Wait a minute, I said as a tingly feeling crawled up my spine. I found the checkbook, looked through the register for "Navy Musicians Association" and--and nothing.

I'd forgotten to ante up for 2008. Sure, I'd made a mental note a few weeks ago to write the check but, instead, I'd been skating.

I took care of the problem right away. I not only wrote the check, I used the form in the Leger Lines to register for the June reunion in Memphis. Finding myself on a roll, I got on the phone and reserved a room at the Memphis Marriot.

Having done all this, I feel like a new man. So it with a renewed sense of honor that I say: Square yourselves away, you slimy, skating maggots--last man to pay up scrubs the urinals in the Marriot men's head.

No comments: