Monday, February 25, 2008

Stars and Stripes--Ooorah!

Many of us were, at one time or another, shanghaied into performing in ad hoc Navy vocal groups.

In San Francisco, I was drafted into a Four Freshmen-like quartet. Whenever we performed, it was, indeed, a blue, blue world.

I sang Beach Boys medleys. I was pressed into service in a number of doo-wop groups and once sang in a barbershop quartet.

The tradition continues. Below is a video of a recent concert by Navy Band Northwest. Their barbershop quartet performance of "Stars and Stripes Forever" got me up out of my seat. Having finished my private standing ovation, I sat down to share it with you.



At last year's NMA reunion, CDR Don Keller, then commanding officer of the School of Music, praised the level of musicianship our fleet bands now enjoy. Those of us who heard the CINCLANT ceremonial unit perform were convinced. Check out this video, and I think you'll agree.

No comments: