Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sweepers, man your brooms

A large public function took place today in the meeting room of the library where I work part-time. After everyone left, the room needed a thorough cleaning. 

Being the junior employee, I got the job.

I spent the afternoon wiping doughnut crumbs off tables. I washed out the coffee urn. I moved stray chairs back to their proper positions. I vacuumed the carpet, emptied the wastebaskets and, on my own initiative, straightened out a few shelves.

Finishing up, I looked the room over with a small sense of pride. 

The task didn't require advanced technical expertise, but it's important to keep a facility clean and ready for use. After the director looks the room over tomorrow morning, I suspect I'll get a compliment. I'll appreciate it, because I've only been there a few months and am looking for greater responsibilities.

I'm 60 years old and finally learning how to be a good E-3.

No comments: