Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Best damn showband in the fleet

It doesn't get any better than the Northeastern Navy Showband. That's my firm, objective opinion, uncolored by the fact that during the early 1980s I served as the showband's pianist, arranger and, eventually, leader.

Watching this clip makes be proud that, through the Navy Musicians Association, I still am connected to Navy music, its members and mission.



Other NMA members who led this band before my stint include Mike Beegle, Ed Rodgers, Terry Chesson, Mike Mitchell and Tex Waldron. I looked up to, learned from and tried to emulate each of these leaders. When I was done, I hoped I left the next man a better band.

Clearly, that's still how it works.


1 comment:

Dennis M. Jansson said...

Amen to that!! I was a trombonist in that great showband from 1982-1984. My past leaders were Tex Waldron, Terry Chesson, Mike Beegle and Mike King. I think Frank Mullen was the leader for awhile also. Great musicians and a great bunch of people during our after gig "social hour" as well.