Thursday, June 11, 2009

Carrying on a proud tradition

Next week I'll be drving through the Illinois cornfields toRock Island to see an outdoor concert by Horizon, the jazz/rock contingent of Navy Band Great Lakes.

Although I've seen some fine performances by Navy ceremonial bands at recent NMA reunions, I haven't seen a public concert by a Navy band since I left the service two decades ago.This, then, will be my first opportunity to play the traditional role of Clueless Old Man who Harrasses the Bandleader.

I'm planning to get tto the venue early so I can bombard the bandleader with endless questions while he's trying to get the band set up. Here's whatI've come up with so far:

-- My nephew is in the Navy. Maybe you know him? Dan
Johnson?

-- What is your real job in the Navy?

-- No, I mean what do you really do when you're not fooling
around?

-- If I set up my chair here, will I be able to see when the band starts
marching?

-- You'll still play if it rains, right? The Navy's not afraid of a little
water, right?

Please feel free to suggest any other inane questions you remember. The band is traveling a long way for this gig, and I want to give them a proper welcome.

3 comments:

Rick said...

How about the ever popular: "You guys are good enough to be professional musicians."

Jack said...

Unit Band #198, 1955, USS Ticonderoga CV14 Division Officer's question.How come all the Trombone slides don't move in unison? After all this is a military band and you should be uniform!!!

Anonymous said...

Do you actually get PAID to do this?

Sheldon Levy
MU-1 Ret