Saturday, May 15, 2010

Blogging about practice makes perfect

I hadn't played for years before attending my first Navy Musicians Association reunion. I worried incessantly about my ability to play and eventually posted articles about my pre-reunion practice regimen.

John Derby has taken such public self-flagellation to a new level. He's created an entire blog about his musical preparations for his first NMA reunion in June. To relive the agony and insecurity that make preparation for your first reunion a period of nerve-wracking self-debasement, visit Who moved my chops?

Like me, John stopped playing sometime in the '90s, but it's clear he'll be ready for our get-together in San Antonio. He's already figured out the three most important things to bring to a reunion of the Navy Musicians Association: your suitcase, your axe and your excuses.

No comments: