Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The week in review

Bleary-eyed, exhausted and home. That's what I am. Actually, I got home late Monday, but have spent the intervening time in a recuperative stupor.

But my brain is back, and I find myself already looking back fondly at a reunion that was a stand-out affair.

-- It was big. I'll get the true figures, but the last time I looked at the sign-in sheet on Friday, over 120 of us had reported in.

-- We attracted lots of new-comers and long-time-no-sees. A lot of us work hard during the year to convince shipmates to give the reunion a try, the result of interlocking recruiting efforts. I, for instance, wanted to assign myself full credit for getting Dave Czohara to his first reunion, but discovered a dozen others trying to bathe in the same glory. I'm already excited about next year. Like Virginia Beach, Orlando, our destination next year, is home to boatloads of retired and former MUs. This could jolt the size and quality of our get-togethers up another notch.

-- We brought in younger MUs. No one has ever confused the NMA with the Fountain of Youth; age, we accept, is relative and subjective. But the energy brought by newcomers Marty Nau and John Jensen, and active-duty member Carl Gerhard--energy shared in the lounge and lobby as well as on the bandstand--was a palpable force. We can, indeed attract younger members, and it is they who can best attract their peers.

-- The music was excellent. John Branam has hit his stride as rehearsal director, and, aided by volunteer assistants, kept bands playing. Concert band director Wilbur Smith's programming choices presented a challenge, and the band responded with fervor and finesse. Friday night's concert showed both bands at their best. To see the concert band's members and director performing later in the rock band showed that the versatility of Navy bandsmen is a life-long trait.

The NMA is a year-round blessing that keeps me in touch with old friends and helps me feel a part of something important. But those four days at the end of June are crucial to maintaining that enthusiasm. Our Board of Directors outdid themselves this year. Or the players outdid themselves. Or the newcomers, or the old-timers. I don't know, but something's working in the NMA.

1 comment:

Jack Rodway said...

Thanks for your keeping those of us that could not make it to VA this year up on the NMA news. I'm even more disappointed, now, that we didn't make it down. Sounds like a great time. One of my former drummers, "The Late John Strain", made it there for his first reunion. He reports to me that he had a good time and was made to feel welcomed.
Mickie and I plan on being in Orlando next year.
Thanks again, Frank. You are doing a beautiful job. Please keep it going.
Jack