Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Daily Poop - Thurs., 12JUN14

It's time for my reunion haircut. I gave up regular hair care when I left the Navy--I think my last haircut was around Christmas--but I generally clean up a little for the reunion.

Problem is deciding whether to go to the barber or the hair salon. I prefer the barber, because the atmosphere is correct; Field & Stream magazines strewn around the place, NASCAR calendars on the wall, old men shooting the breeze. It's got everything a real man wants in a barbershop.

Well, except for decent haircuts. Every time I go, I beg the barber to give me "just a trim," and walk out of the place looking like an E-2 on boot camp graduation day.

The ladies in the salon, on the other hand, do a great job. The problem is, well, ladies. Old women with their heads in hair dryers. Photos of cats on the wall. Stylists talking about their boyfriends.

I shoulda gone to the barber a month ago. It would have given my hair enough time to recover from the butchery. 

-- Rumor of the Day-- 

Member John Polites tells me he thinks Tex Waldron is coming to the reunion.

It would be great to have "The Partner" back in attendance. He's missed a few years, and the excuses are getting moldy. Granted, he's a busy running his club in Seattle, Tula's, which Downbeat magazine lists as one of the worlds "150 Great Jazz Rooms."

But you'd think he could let the joint slip down to 151st place for a few days. Tex brings to our reunions a certain element of, shall we say,  grace and style.

(For a flattering write-up of Tex and his club, featuring a photo of of him posing, for some reason, with two humans and two dogs, click here.)

No comments: