Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A delay in the NMA reunion wrap-up.

On Monday morning, I told you I'd be home at the end of the day and start wrapping up my coverage of the Navy Musicians Association on Tuesday, yesterday.

That was before the Trip Through the Outskirts of Hell.

It started smoothly. American Airlines got me to Dallas/Fort Worth without a glitch. I ran halfway across the state of Texas in time to board my 2:30 PM connecting flight to Moline. I was almost on the plane when the passengers were herded back into the terminal.

The toilet was broken. A mechanic would fix it in no time; flight delayed until 3:00 PM.

Mechanic delayed. Flight delayed until. 4:00 PM. Clouds roll in.

Toilet not fixed at 4:30 PM, as newscasters on large-screen TV discuss tropical storm Alex

Thunderbolts arrive at 5:00 PM. Flight cancelled. Passengers shipped to area hotels to spend the night.

I checked in the Hilton Hotel and found the business center; figured I'd post about the situation to my Navy buddies.

Internet access in Hilton Hotel business center is billed at a rate of $5 for every ten minutes. I love you, sailor, but not at $30 an hour.

Next day, back to the airport to hop on flight 3303 to Moline at Gate B5. Gate is changed to B24. I get to new gate just in time for a change: B4. Back at B4, gate is changed to B17. Then B12.

Finally, B6. We board. Captain announces, "The light switch in the rest room is broken, but a mechanic can fix it in no time."

Aiiee! This is where I came in.

So, now it's Wednesday, I'm finally back from Texas, having completed the trip from Texas to Illinois, over a period of two days at an average speed of 11 miles per hour. I've got a boss and coworkers who would prefer I come back to work rather than sit at my computer, posting to my Navy buddies.

So the Reunion Wrap-up will be delayed. I'll try to do it tonight. If I can't finish up, I'll dole out some more flimsy excuses. For example, the light switch in the bathroom doesn't work, but I can fix that in no time.

No comments: