Wednesday, June 30, 2010

To the people of Texas:

I just spent a week in your state. Had a great time. Met you, liked you, ate some great Tex-Mex food.

But I won't be coming back.

Friends, I gotta ask: Why do you paint all your parking lots black? Don't you know the relationship between colors and heat retention? You know: white reflects, black absorbs? That kind of third-grade science class thing?
Texas starts the day at a temperature of 80 degrees, and works up from that baseline. It is not necessary to pave the state in order to create heat. God's giving it to you in spades.

Texas, I discovered, is fine, as long as you don't go outdoors. Bed? Great. Hotel lobby? Outstanding. It was only when I stepped outside that the searing flames of punishment permeated my being. Without a car,I had to walk from my hotel to nearby restaurants and stores. Every step was a flaming, torturous exercise in suicidal ideation.

Why all the black? Alternatives abound.

Cement has a nice natural color. Don't know what you'd call it; "cement colored," probably. Disperses the heat, it does.

I've seen asphalt done in light grey shades that show the gravelly texture, yet provide a smooth driving surface that reflects the sunlight here and there, preventing heat build-up.

But black? Come on. The road to hell is paved in black asphalt, just to give the new residents a taste of eternity. 

Like I said, had a great time. Good buddies, friendly locals, everything's big, big, big.

But you won't see Frank Mullen hoping across the asphalt again any time soon.

I get the message.

No comments: