Sunday, June 27, 2010

Taking care of the little things

One of my collateral duties as a member of the Navy Musicians Association is to drive Melanie Leketa crazy once a year.

Toward the end of the NMA Concert Band's Friday night concert, Melanie sings "Eternal Father" and "Requiem for a Friend." I then recite "We Serve With Honor" as the band plays "America, the Beautiful."

Melanie always has trouble during the rehearsal of this medley. The trouble is me. I check the microphone's switch 30 times. I move the microphone stand toward the band, away from the band, under the catering table. Later, as the concert is about to begin, I do these things again, each time telling her why. She tries to hide, but I track her down to tell her where we should stand, when I'll move the microphone, where she should face. At the last minute, I tell her how to turn on the microphone.

It never occurs to me that Melanie is an experienced, professional singer, adept at microphone technique, stage presence, ignoring glitches and making performance look effortless. In fact, four years ago, she taught me how to use the microphone.  

You can tell by the way she rolls her eyes that she appreciates my efforts.

No comments: