Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Daily Poop - Thurs., 16JUN11

Advance registration figures show that this year's NMA reunion could be a big one. I've been guessing that, despite the economy, this might be the case. Economics is about making choices, and it looks like a lot of us have chosen to spend time with our shipmates. This is terrific.

And the reunion is shaping into a terrific event, too. NMA President Terry Chesson says it's official: we'll have a Saturday evening visit from the ceremonial unit of the U.S. Fleet Forces Band. Call them CINCLANT, call them Fleet Forces, they're excellent. Better than excellent; I'd say that if they went head to head in competition with the NMA Concert Band, the issue would be in doubt...

Seriously, those of us who have witnessed their performance before will tell you they're the tops. And I think they enjoy the gig, too; it's not often a band plays for an audience that gives a standing ovation when they walk onthe bandstand.

Terry also confirms that the guest speaker on Saturday night will be the Commanding Officer of the School of Music, CDR Ralph Ingraham. I promise to listen politely, and I may even applaud. But if Ralph starts singing "New York, New York," I'm gonna grab the microphone and tell the entire room about the time he . . .

Whoops, I almost forgot: you gotta come to the reunion to hear the stories.

No comments: