Monday, June 16, 2014

The Daily Poop - Mon., 16JUN14

What's the point of having a blog if you can't whine once in a while?

---- Commence whining. ----

Oh noooooooo.

I just heard from Frank Bartley. He can't come to the reunion; he has a regular gig in Florida he can not abandon.

Oh noooooooo.

Frank and Max Murray are the two of the NMA's finest bass players. I knew Max couldn't come this year, but now, without Frank Bartley, others are gonna have to step up to the plate at the evening jam sessions

Bill Sterck claims he's a rock player and doesn't do well with jazz chord changes. This was proven false last year when he was pressed into service.He did a fine job and we'll happily invite him on the bandstand this year.

Lee Hudson, I hate to say it, is a gifted musician with a good ear. It also pains me to say that his humility sometimes keeps him off the bandstand when the jamming gets particularly fiery. We'll have none of that this year, Dr. Milton Leander Hudson. We need you on bass.

Then there's me, of course, but I am physically limited. My repetitive stress injuries flared last year when we were short on bass players and I overdid it. I still haven't recovered, but I'll do what I can.

The damn thing is, I love our jam sessions and because we were short on bass players last year, I took it upon myself to be a rhythm section savior. On Thursday night, I knew I should limit my participation, but we needed a bass player and the music became hot. I got worn out and knew I should stop, but agreed to do one last tune. An up-tempo version of "Secret Love" was my downfall, a rendition that included a combination of Latin rhythms and Mike Vax. When it was over, I took my pain to the pool, saw a buddy sitting under an umbrella and pulled up a chair.

Well, I tried to. The chair was wrought iron. By the time I'd dragged the monster across six inches of concrete,

Owwwwwwww.

My reunion bass playing was over.

I've suffered from carpal tunnel and failed surgery for years and am used to a certain amount of pain. But for the last year, it's been worse than ever.

--------End Whining.--------

Now it's time to inject some positive vibrations into the atmosphere. Maybe a new bassist will show up. Maybe Rabbit Simmons will return. This year.

Raaaaaaaabbiiiiiit!


No comments: