Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Daily Poop - Tues, 15JUN10

I'm flying to the NMA reunion again. This year, because I'll spend the major part of the trip on Big Jim's Cut-rate Airline and Damaged Luggage Emporium, I'm playing it safe and bringing only a carry-on bag. Wardrobe 2010 will have to fit in a 22x14x9 suitcase.

This severely limits the number of fashion accessories and that will make the trip to San Antonio. Sorry, ukulele, you'll have to stay home this year. But I get better at packing for reunions each year. If you're flying, you, too can jauntily swing through airports with only one bag if you'll follow

Frank's NMA Packing Tips

-- NMA shirts rule. I used to bring both NMA shirts and polo shirts. Why? An NMA shirt is a polo shirt.

-- How many pairs of pants does a guy need? No matter what variety of trousers I pack, I still wind up wearing jeans through the most of the week.

--Jackets are for wearing. Last year I learned to fold my Saturday night sports jacket inside-out, which did an only-fair job of preventing wrinkles. This year, I'll do what the bold, super-savvy travelers do: wear the jacket onto the airplane and take it off for the flight.

--Pack one-way skivvies. Tightly packed suitcases make it difficult to bring home souvenirs, NMA goodies or other curios. Frank's solution? Pack your worst, falling- apart, threadbare skivvies and discard them during the week, creating suitcase space for new acquisitions.  What? You don't have falling-apart, threadbare skivvies? Oh. Never mind.

--Remember the Alamo and Wal-mart. I have no idea where the Alamo is, or if I'll get there, but I do know there's a Wal-mart only a couple of blocks from the Doubletree. This means certain inexpensive toiletries may never find their way into my suitcase.

Jeez, this is too easy. I think I may have room for the ukulele after all.

No comments: