Friday, June 10, 2011

The Daily Poop - Fri., 10JUN11

In the recent issue of Leger Lines, I saw that the NMA reunion features an an optional cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk. Here's what I want to know: is there anyone in the NMA who was ever stationed in Norfolk or Little Creek who hasn't played on the Spirit of Norfolk? When I was stationed at the school, I gigged on the Love Boat, at various times, with MUs John Pastin, Phil Field, Max Stumf, Roy Mahoney, Steve Dimond, Clem Skinner and half the guys from the CINCLANT band. It wasn't the worst sea duty; I made $29.50 a night.
- - - - - - - -

Even though I don't drink anymore, I've been thinking about making a field trip during the reunion to the Brass Bell on Independence Boulevard. For a number years the Bell was my home away home. It was a hangout for three Navy units: the School of Music, Seal Team Two and a Mobile Training Unit. We got along pretty well, all things considered, and when you walk into a crowed bar and the only empty stool is next to a Seal, there's a lot to consider.

- - - - - - - -

I don't know which I like more: NMA reunions in even-numbered years at various locations, or reunions in odd-number years in Virginia Beach. The "away" games are always new and exciting, but there's a lot to be said for these "home port" get-togethers: we know the facility, and the hotel management is familiar with our needs. I guess neither is better; they're both great.



2 comments:

daveczo said...

Yes, we did a few of the boat gigs in 79. I was supposed to be paying attention to the I course. Also spent a few nights with you, Jack Dye and others at the Brass Bell. How the hell did I get thru the course?

Frank Mullen III said...

You got through the course thanks to the wise counsel of people like Jack Dye and me.