Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Daily Poop - Thurs., 21JUN12

Of the many things I enjoy about the NMA reunions, the anticipation is the hardest to deal with and, yet, the most enjoyable. During this final week of preparation, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I generally arrive a few days early, and look forward to meeting other early birds as they arrive. Even after the reunion is underway, members continue to arrive for days, and the scuttlebutt flies around the hotel ("Is Charlie here yet?" "No, but I heard Bill just got in." "Where the hell is Tom? He was supposed to fly in today"). 

Packing for my flight to Orlando for the NMA reunion is involving some serious triage. This is not Ship's Open House to which the general is invited; it's six men in a four-man life raft, and all inessentials get tossed overboard.
It's not until next week, you say--why start packing now? Well, I'm determined to bring carry-on baggage only. I'll be in Orlando for eight days--that's a lotta skivvies--and I'm bringing a new camera with its assortment of plugs, cords and Japanese instructions. Every square inch of suitcase and computer case must be used to its best advantage, so I'm engaged in luggage sea trials. 
Fortunately, I was road-trained by the Navy Music Program. I have washed socks and skivvies in hotels and motels throughout the continental U.S. I've traveled the Orient and two oceans with an office packed into a seabag. I can make this work.
Nevertheless, bringing the minimum of clothing means my appearance may not always be up the high standards for which I have been known both on active duty ("...wears his uniform with unmistakable pride") and as a member of the NMA ("Damn, Frank looks good...how does he do it?)

Checking the airlines baggage restrictions (I'm flying Delta and a couple of its subcontracted puddle-jumping Junior Airlines), I note that restrictions on carrying musical instruments aboard have been simplified. Last time I checked, there were incomprehensible limits on an instrument case's length, width, height, circumference, date of birth and . Their all gone now. Basically, you can take an instrument aboard for free as your single piece of carry-on luggage, as long as it fits in the overhead compartment or under the seat. This seems to mean that you could do an entire tour without the inconvenience of checking in any baggage, as long as you don't mind wearing the same ratty clothing every day.  

1 comment:

Tom Gillette said...

Written like a true musician: "...a new camera, with its assortment of chords..."

Guitar chords or Guitar cords...

I once worked at Bass Pro Shops which sold fishing equipment. A musician friend of mine saw my shirt and said "Cool! A whole store just for bass players!"

Thanks for the blogs...they strike a cord...er chord with me of fond memories.