Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Daily Poop - Wed, 17JUN09

-- I just wrote to Marshall Hawkins and am hoping to hear that he'll be at the reunion. Hawk had to miss last year, and we missed his presence as well as his archives of Navy band memorabilia.

--Speaking of missing the reunion, I recently mentioned that John Vasquez won't be with us because, as newly elected head of his local American Legion post, he has to attend the state convention.

This is the level of patriotism and service that qualifies an NMA member for a NavyLyres Certificate of Approved Absence. Similarly, I now give a pass to Milo Wood. His grandson, a National Guardsman, has only four days at home--the four days of our reunion--before shipping out to Afghanistan, so Milo needs the time to spend with his soldier.

See the pattern? Lame excuses like "I have to bring the cake to my niece's Sweet 16 party" and "That's the week of the Polka Club Singles Barbecue" don't cut it around here.

If you're planning to write me with your excuse as to why you can't come, make it good.

No comments: