Saturday, June 20, 2009

The show goes on

In an earlier post about my plans to see Horizon, the rock contingent of Navy Band Great Lakes, in concert during Navy Week in the Illinois/Iowa Quad Cities, I referred to that old line we used to hear when an outdoor concert was cancelled due to rain:

What's the matter, is the Navy afraid of a little water?

We've had five to seven inches of rain this week in western Illinois; streets in downtown Rock Island, where Horizon was scheduled to play an outdoor concert yesterday, were under water.

The show, however, went on as scheduled; the weather broke, the venue provided a tent for the band and the sun shone long enough for a fine afternoon concert.

Which I missed. I live in cornfield country outside the Quad Cities, and heavy rains tend to flood roads and take out bridges. In this case, it wasn't the Navy that was afraid of water; it was Yours Truly.

All is not lost. The thunderstorms appear to be over, and Horizon has a few more gigs in the area this weekend. I'll hope to make one of them.

I can't think of a better way to prime myself for the Navy Musicians Association reunion than by spending an hour or so witnessing the work of the active duty MUs who are still carrying the load.


No comments: