Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A short and sort-of serious note.

I wish you were here. Every damn one of you. Only one day old, this reunion is already giant and continues to grow.
My first reunion--2006.
Last night as I was heading for bed, I met two new members who had just arrived. I welcomed them and told them how the register in the morning. It reminded me of my first reunion.

I'd debated for years about coming to one of those there MU reunions. Year after year I talked myself out of it. Finally, in 2006, with the help of an NMA member, I talked myself into it and drove to the reunion in Louisville, Kentucky.

I was nervous. I knew some people, but most were strangers. I didn't understand the reunion routine. But MUs welcomed me aboard, showed me the ropes and I've been coming back ever since.

Those who were strangers are now shipmates I look forward to seeing every year. This is how it works, my friends.

So all I can do is tell you from the bottom of my heart: since you're not here, I have no choice but to have your fun for you.





No comments: