Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Utter Humiliation



During a brief slowdown in the stream of early birds who checked in today, I walked into the registration room and decided to grace the NMA with my Official Presence.

"Deb," I said, "allow me to make your day by signing in."

I didn't exactly make her day. She looked in her computer and said, "You haven't pre-registered."

"Piffle," I said. "Nonsense. I always pre-register."

"You have always registered early,' she said, employing a verb tense that I did not recognize. "But this year, you have not registered early."

I didn't quibble. I decided to let her have her way, pay up and straighten it out later with the cancelled check and receipt that would demonstrate that I'd been right all along--as usual.

A quick e-mail to my wife set the record straight. Jo keeps detailed records of expenditures and quickly found the problem: I, the guy who has spent the last four months rallying troops and encouraging them to register early, forgot to, uh, register early.

I'm known as a creative guy, and as soon as I can spin this into a narrative in which I am the hero, believe me, I'll post it right here.

No comments: